“Where you come from is gone,
where you thought you were going to never was there……
Nothing outside you can give you any place…
In yourself right now is all the place you’ve got.”
— Flannery O’Connor
― Wise Blood
The Rules, Roles and Regulations of Self
Midlife, the longest stage of the family life cycle, is a time of multiple transitions. It is a time when roles are restructured and the rules of daily living are reconsidered. It is a time of launching children, welcoming their partners, becoming grandparents, reassessing work choices, managing illness, burying parents, and potential loss of one’s own partner through death or separation.
- What gives your life integrity and purpose?
- Are you clear on the values and principles that guide your behaviors?
- Do you want to gain more control over your emotional life?
Work on differentiation of self is the clearest path to mature growing up. The life-long journey of becoming an authentic adult is a never completed task. We do the best we can and hope our efforts will be rewarded.
- Are you committed to becoming more “responsible” for yourself?
- Do you aspire to act with more integrity toward others?
- Would you like guidance in setting appropriate limits and boundaries?
To differentiate is to provide yourself with a platform for maximum growth and personal development. Taking responsibility for your thoughts, feelings, speech and actions helps expand the universe of accomplishable positive outcomes.
- Are you striving to become more self-directed?
- Do you desire greater connection, meaning and purpose in your life?
- How honest are you about wrong doings?
So how to maintain equanimity, happiness, satisfaction, companionship, selfsufficiency, love, sensuality, contentment and acceptance? Improvement in functional level of self-differentiation is a continuous journey we are all still working on. Mindful Relationships coaching can help you keep moving forward in a positive direction.
To learn more and/or schedule a consultation click here.